Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
First, I want to take a moment to thank our veterans as we head into the Memorial Day weekend. The Memorial Day holiday is dedicated to those who have served and sacrificed so that we all can enjoy our many freedoms. Reflecting on those freedoms is most appropriate as we re-open the State and KC metro, as I believe we all have a greater appreciation for them.
Dr. Franklin Murphy, a medical doctor by training and chancellor of KU in the 1950’s said this:
“It should be the aim of public servants to encourage individual enterprise, not deny it. Otherwise one day we shall discover that the source from which this nation has drawn its strength will have been enfeebled beyond repair. Our graduating men and women must clearly recognize and be capable of assuming their personal obligations, which a true democracy imposes on its citizens.”
Five updates that continue Murphy’s theme:
1) Tomorrow the State and County embark on modified Phase 2 of the Governor’s Ad Astra re-opening. Modified Phase 2 allows the vast majority of businesses to re-open with certain restrictions. Details of Modified Phase 2 can be found at this link:
2) The Council last week unanimously voiced approval for the City’s re-opening plans to align with the State’s for now. Thus, most meetings will be virtual in June until the gathering restriction grows from 15 to 45 in Phase 3.
3) I want to congratulate the graduates (and their parents) of all ages in Mission Hills. I walk frequently in our City and you cannot miss the signs congratulating the high school, 8th grade, 6th grade and other graduations.
4) The Community Engagement Committee is assessing a new calendar. They have already postponed Verona en Blanc and the Keim Street Fair. Be on the lookout for an updated calendar in the coming weeks.
5) Many residents do not realize that almost 90% of the creeks in the City are privately owned. Having grown up with a creek that provided endless entertainment in old Leawood, part of me has been happy to see so many children rediscovering what fun these waterways can be.
That said, please be respectful and mindful of private property, and please be careful as our waterways are not always as clean as we would like.
As always, thank you for your continued feedback. Please feel free to call City Hall at 913-362-9620 or email email@example.com. You are also welcome to email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a safe, healthy Memorial Day weekend! Enjoy Modified Phase 2.