In order to obtain a 2018 license and tag for your pet stop by City Hall Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with a copy of your pet's rabies certificate or a green license registration form signed by a veterinarian. Please note that it is not necessary to show proof that your pet’s rabies vaccination is valid for the entire year of 2018. The vaccination must be in effect as of the date you are obtaining the license for it to be issued. Your application for a permit signals agreement to keep your pet current on its rabies vaccination.
Pet registration is free during the month of January. Per ordinance, the fee per license is $5 in February and March and $10 April through December. Remember that a special animal permit is required for households with more than two dogs or two cats or any number of pets large than allowed by ordinance. The cost for this special permit is $50 regardless of the date of issuance. See the back of the green pet registration card for additional information.
City Code states that animal licenses are issued for a calendar year and expire on December 31st. The Code further sets forth that it is the pet owner’s responsibility to annually obtain a license for dogs and/or cats and to ensure that pets’ rabies vaccinations are always current.
- Excessive barking is a violation of Mission Hills City Ordinance, Section 8-106I which states that “no person shall keep or harbor within the City any dog which by loud, frequent, or habitual barking, howling, yelping or fighting shall annoy or disturb the public peace.”
- Cats are not allowed to roam into other residents’ yards. Mission Hills City Ordinance Section 8-106F states that if the City receives two complaints regarding a cat entering another person’s yard, the cat owner may be fined.
- It is unlawful for any dog to be off the owner’s property unless the dog is on a leash and under the effective control of the person with the dog.
- It is important that dogs confined to the owner’s property by an electric fence remain on the owner’s property and that the electric fence conforms to City regulations. A permit is required for the installation of a new electric fence. The permit is complimentary.
- Please remember that cleaning up your pet waste is your responsibility. Pet waste transmits disease and City Code requires the owner to clean up after their pet.
Please do not discard pet waste into the catch basins or creek ways!
Please remind your dog waste removal service, dog walkers, and guests that the dog waste receptacles located throughout the City are not for commercial use!