Trash and Recycling

Trash Collection for the week of Feb 19 – No changes in pickup days Trash, Recycling, and Yard Waste.

Pickup for normal household trash and recyclables is provided by the City of Mission Hills and paid for by your tax dollars. Service is provided by Waste Management. Please keep all containers out of sight, except on your scheduled pick-up day when containers should be placed for pick up by 7 am. When placing items in your recycling container, please remember that plastic bags cannot be recycled and to breakdown cardboard boxes.

Yard waste is picked up every Monday and must be placed in paper bags or a rigid container no larger than 35 gallons with no plastic bags. Tree trimmings and small limbs must be bundled with twine or another biodegradable tie and cannot be longer than 3 feet. There is no limit to the amount of yard waste that can be put at the curb side as long as it adheres to these requirements. 


Household hazardous materials including paint, yard chemicals, cleaners, and much more must be taken to the Johnson County Department of Health and Environment Household Hazardous Waste facility for disposal. Drop-offs are by appointment only and can be made through the Johnson County website or by calling 913-715-6907.


Holiday Schedule 

During a week in which a recognized holiday occurs Monday-Friday, your pickup day will be delayed one day following the observed holiday. For example, any holiday that occurs on a Monday will delay all collections one day for Mission Hills. Any holiday that occurs on a Tuesday or Wednesday, only impacts residents with a Wednesday collection day. Below is a list of recognized holidays:

  • New Year’s Day

  • Memorial Day

  • Independence Day

  • Labor Day

  • Thanksgiving Day

  • Christmas Day

10 Things: Can I recycle this? The ‘Yes’ and ‘No’ of Curbside Recycling

  1.  Receipt paper - No. All Thermal printed receipts belong in the trash. 

  2.  Plastic bags - No.  These bags are not accepted in your curbside bin.  

  3.  Pizza boxes - Clean side only. Please completely empty the container, tear off the top for recycling, and trash the rest of the box. 

  4.  Plastic wear and paper plates - No. Due to the odd shape of the plastic wear and lower paper quality, these items cannot be recycled. 

  5.  Paper milk and juice cartons - Yes. Simply rinse and place into your recycling.

  6.  Styrofoam - No. Styrofoam is not accepted because it can break into thousands of small pieces and contaminate other recyclables. 

  7.  Shampoo bottles - Yes. Simply rinse and place into your recycling. 

  8.  Red solo cups - Yes. 

  9.  K-Cups - No. The size and material components cannot be recycled and belong in the trash. 

  10.  Aluminum foil - Yes. Although previously not acceptable with curbside recycle bin, you can now recycle aluminum foil and pans in the curbside recycle bin. 

  11. Aerosol cans - Yes. Please empty to where there is no longer a "hiss" sound.

See more information on what can be recycled. See more information on where you can recycle plastic bags.

Check the map to find out when your trash and recycling will be picked up.
To find the location of recycling centers around the Kansas City area, visit or

Waste Management Contact Information
Customer Experience Phone Number:                        913-631-3300                                                        Alternate Phone Number:                                                1-800-964-8988 

Bulky Item Pickup 2024
Saturday, March 23
Saturday, September 14
*Please have all items out on the curb by 7:00 a.m.

Acceptable items:
 Disassembled swing sets
 Carpet cut into 4'x4' sections

Items that cannot be accepted:
 Items weighing more than 150 lbs.
 Yard waste
 Hazardous materials, including items containing Freon, such as refrigerators, freezers, and air conditioners
 Construction demolition materials
 Compressed gas cylinders


  • Use link for online chat with Customer Experience 

  • Use link to email Customer Experience


For 30 years the former Household Hazardous Waste facility was in Mission. Residents can expect an enhanced experience with the new location. The new location is 11231 Mastin Street in Overland Park, off College Boulevard. The drop-off location is open to Johnson County residents by appointment only and allows for the safe disposal of unwanted paint, household chemicals, yard waste, and much more.

  • The Johnson County facility is open year-round on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays and there are two options for scheduling a drop off:

    Schedule online at

    Call 913-715-6907

  • Since its inception, the Johnson County HHW program has collected over 12 million pounds of waste from over 300,000 residents. Although not available right now, once stock is built up, 5-gallon buckets of blended latex paint will be available for purchase. Residents can also shop in the Free Store, once stock is built up, where usable products such as stain, household cleaners, car care products, etc. are free to the public.

Johnson County Hazardous Waste