Land Disturbance Activity

Land Disturbance Ordinance

The Land Disturbance Ordinance was adopted by the City of Mission Hills to eliminate or limit erosion and changes to storm water drainage areas, as well as eliminate the introduction of sediment and pollution from construction sites and disturbed land into the City’s storm sewers, creeks, and adjoining properties. Adoption of the ordinance was necessitated by the EPA’s Clean Water Act.

The Land Disturbance Ordinance requires a permit for:

  • Changing the physical grade of a property from the natural grade,
  • The addition or removal of “fill”,
  • Changing the natural flow of stormwater on a property, and
  • Any elemental changes to a property caused by major landscaping or construction.

When do I need a land disturbance permit? In some cases, you may need a land disturbance permit in addition to a building permit. To determine if you need a land disturbance permit, please review the tables for Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3 projects.

If your project is a Tier 2 or Tier 3, you will need to submit a land disturbance application. An Erosion and Sediment Control Plan must be submitted with the application for Tier 3 projects.

The Best Management Practices (BMP) Manual lists measures that can be taken to control erosion and sedimentation.